RE: Missing time in 10046 trace file

  • From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'pfitzger_au@xxxxxxxxx'" <pfitzger_au@xxxxxxxxx>, Oracle-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:53:36 -0700

Paul,

>tim value of the FETCH 2276365740 from the time value of the EXEC
>2276356674 I get approx 90 seconds (9066 centi-secs) which is nowhere
>close to adding all the ela's of the waits (48 centi-secs).  Am I
>looking at what they call unmeasured/unaccounted-for time?

Note that latches can 'sleep' and while they are sleeping, this time isn't
counted under 'waiting'. This sleep is successivley for longer periods... I
think Steve Adams discussed this very clearly in his book. If you look at
Statspack snapshots between these periods, you might see more than usual
values under the SLEEP[n] columns. And yes, when CPU thrashing occurs, the
unaccounted time increases as the context switching times are not counted
within Oracle....

Hth,
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Listen to great, commercial-free christian music 24x7x365 at
http://www.klove.com

** The opinions and facts contained in this message are entirely mine and do
not reflect those of my employer or customers **