Re: Miserable Disks

  • From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 00:52:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

Some more details:

The filesystem is ext3 and it's on an EMC Clariion
storage array (low-end SATA unit - don't know the
exact model number), with fiber-channel connection.

The cache has been disabled due to problems with the
UPS - I was assuming that this was part of the problem
but couldn't account for all of it.

There are indeed several bad things happening:

* SATA disks
* RAID-5
* No cache

But even together I didn't expect things to be *this*
bad.  Am I looking for a non-existent fourth problem?
:-)  My current focus is on the 512-byte writes seen
on iostat - any ideas why I could be seeing this?

Thanks
Charlotte

--- Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>

http://mail.yahoo.com