Re: Migration 11gR1 Solaris to Exadata 11gR2

  • From: Thomas P S <royxavier@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'ORACLE-L' <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 09:13:04 -0800 (PST)

Many thanks to everyone for responding.

Faud, TTS with incremental data - I believe both target and source should be
same version?   This doc is only talking about migration between different
Endian formats, not different versions and endian.  Not sure I can consider
this option as my version is also different.

Bobby,  Yes GG replication and cut over is also actively considered except the
GG $$$ pulling it down.

Hansraj, That is really interesting to see that you have already used
Crossplatform TTS with CONVERT.   Will you please share the note number if it
is handy?  If Oracle support this migration path, going to be the easiest one.

Mayen, yes full data pump exp/imp is going to be the last option.

Regards,
Thomas

On Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:32 PM, Bobby Curtis <curtisbl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thomas,

Using GoldenGate and switching over is the approach a lot of people are using.
It doesn’t matter that there are 1000+ tables.  Just setup GoldenGate and then
take a consistent export.  Then import on the Exadata side and start replicat.
Once everything is in sync, the organization can decided when to switch.

I over simplified the approach, but many companies look at uptime while doing
migrations.  GoldenGate is the tool that can minimize downtime and complete the
migration task.  The trade off with using GoldenGate is the cost associated
with licensing.  Typically, both sides of the replication site has to be
licensed (source and target).

Anyways, I hope this helps.

Thanks

Bobby