Re: Migrated database from local file system to SAN

  • From: Mathias Magnusson <mathias.magnusson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lu.Jiang@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 21:48:28 +0200

The answer then is that you will probably be able to make it significantly
faster. If you can run on more spindles, fill just the outer parts on the
disks and place the objects while using what cache the san and OS has, you
ought to see good improvement. If you on the other hand were to exceed the
max throughput of the controller )not the fiber, and you had higher before,
then you could see a degradation (solvable by using more controllers (HBAs)
).

It depends, but the setup you seem to be getting ought to let you get the
speed you need, only limited by the way you set it up.

If you need speed, why are you running Raid 5 on local disks? That is rarely
improving speed over 1+0 when the disks matters for your performance.

Mathias