Manual DB creation in 11g for APEX 3.1

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:41:36 -0500 (CDT)

Hey all,

The subject about says it all.  I'm attempting to fire up a test APEX 3.1
w/the embedded PL/SQL gateway on a manually created 11.1.0.6.0 DB in x86
Linux.

As per the prereqs in the APEX install docs, I've installed JVM, XDB, and
Text, using the 10gR2 instructions found on Metalink since I could not
locate any specifically for 11g.  I also verified that PL/SQL Web Toolkit is
installed and meets the version requirement.

After setting the port to 8080, I see that it appears to be registered with
the Listener.  However, trying to surf to port 8080 ends up with a
"connection was reset" error.  I've attempted to bounce the instance,
listener, and reinstalling APEX to no avail.  "netstat -l" confirms that the
listener is using port 8080.

For a huge caveat, I'm attempting this on a new build of Gentoo.  However,
even if this was on EL5, I have no idea how to troubleshoot this.  I
couldn't find any pertinent log files in the $ORACLE_BASE tree, including
the diags directory -- are there any?  I'd like to troubleshoot this instead
of the Windowsesque option of reinstalling, this time using <GROAN> DBCA to
see if my manual creation is the issue.

Thoughts anyone?
Rich

p.s.  Almost done (*finally!*) with my step-by-step instructions to manually
install 10gR2 replicated OID.  Maybe even this week!