Re: Logical Standby Database - Data Guard

  • From: "Bradd Piontek" <piontekdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bill@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 14:43:54 -0600

I think the online redo log was answered already.
There are two ways to create the standby redo logs
1. Since you used Grid Control, use the Verification tool to check your
standby. It'll more than likely notic you don't have standby redo logs and
ask to create them. You can then enable real-time sql apply

2. You could use this scripts I wrote last year for logical standby creation
from scratch. It is basd on 10gR2 recommendations:
Prompt Configuring Standby Redo Logs for Real Time SQL Apply
Prompt  Sizes must exactly match those of the Online Redo Logs!!!!
Prompt  Minimally, the configuratin should have one more standby
Prompt  redo log file gruop  than the number of online redo log
Prompt  file groups on the primary.
Prompt
Prompt  Recommendation:
Prompt    (max file groups for each thread + 1) * max number of threads
select records_total "MAXLOGFILES" from v$controlfile_record_section where
type = 'REDO LOG';
select dimlm "MAXLOGMEMBERS" from x$kccdi;

column stdby_log_size for 9,999,999
SELECT
        'Create ' || (a.maxlogsperthread + 1) * c.maxthreads || ' Standby
Redo Logs of Size ' ||
        d.stdby_log_size || ' KB' || ' starting with Group ' || b.maxgroups,
        'ALTER DATABASE ADD STANDBY LOGFILE GROUP ' || b.maxgroups ||
'''+DATA_TEST'' SIZE ' || d.stdby_log_size || 'K;'
FROM
        (select max(thread_group) maxlogsperthread from (select count(*)
thread_group,thread# from v$log group by thread#)) a,
        (SELECT COUNT(*)+1 maxgroups FROM v$logfile) b,
        (SELECT COUNT(*) maxthreads FROM v$thread) c,
        (select max(bytes)/1024 stdby_log_size from v$log) d;

Bradd Piontek
  "Next to doing a good job yourself,
        the greatest joy is in having someone
        else do a first-class job under your