Listner contorl with password

  • From: "Storey, Robert \(DCSO\)" <RStorey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l-freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 12:30:04 -0500

While I'm digging through MySupport, I'll toss this out here.  I know
I'm missing something simple

Using 10.2.0.5 on Windows 2008.  I created a test database.  I then
created a listener with a name other than listener, using the Net
Manager tool.  I set the password, and changed the default listening
port.

I installed the software and started the listener service using the
Local administrator.  Under this login, I can start/stop listener using
lsnrctl.  Works fine.

Security =  Password or Local OS authentication.

So, I log in  as a different user who has no Admin privledges and is not
in the ora-dba group.  I access lsnctl and try to do listener functions.
No dice. Get the error message about not authorized.  A good thing.

Then, I issue the set_password command and set password to the listener
password. I can successfully stop the listener.

However, I cannot restart it. No amount of effort can get it to restart.
I get TNS-12560 and TNS-00530 errors about protocol.

So, the question is, what am I missing.  I understand that if I turn the
Local OS Authentication off, the password operations should work. But,
why is it that I can set the password and stop the listener, but now
can't set the password and start the listener.

Thanks
Bob