Re: Linux fs.aio-max-nr Leak?

  • From: Kenny Payton <k3nnyp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: alever22@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 12:46:12 -0400

I'm not looking to start another flash debate but I will say we have found
it to be very reliable.

This particular problem is not limited to environments with flash storage
and I have observed the behavior across numerous environments for a number
of years.  It certainly seems like a leak and the graphed trend shows the
same.  The most recent occurrence was after 165 days of being up on a very
active database.

The fact that Oracle's pre-install rpm sets this to 1M leads me to believe
they are aware of the issue.  1M outstanding aio events seem a bit
excessive even for a busy database.  If the requests were being managed
properly I would suspect we would see a significant drop off during off
hours but the trend is to vary slightly throughout the day but day to day
the trend line continues to climb.

I just came across this Pythian article where they did more digging than I
back in 2012.  They claim Oracle support recommending setting aio-max-nr to
50M.

http://www.pythian.com/blog/troubleshooting-ora-27090-async-io-errors/