Re: Limitation on hostname

  • From: David Robillard <david.robillard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Asif Momen <asif_oracle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 12:32:25 -0400

Hello,

> I am installing Oracle 11g R2 Grid Infrastructure on RHEL 5.5 box and would
> like to know if there are any restrictions on the hostname. My SA has
> following names:
>
> pictureupdat1.midpa.as.pacd.local
> pictureupdat2.midpa.as.pacd.local
>
> Any input???

The VIP addresses cannot be on a different domain name from the actual
node name. For instance, using your own node names, these VIP names
would be ok:

pictureupdat1-vip.midpa.as.pacd.local
pictureupdat2-vip.midpa.as.pacd.local

But these would not:

pictureupdat1.vip.midpa.as.pacd.local
pictureupdat2.vip.midpa.as.pacd.local

But the cluster interconnect and, if you use Ethernet based storage
(i.e. NFS, dNFS, iSCSI or FCoE) the storage interface name can both be
on a different domain name (that is, if you bother to configure a DNS
name for these interfaces). I'm not sure if the SCAN addresses need to
be on the same domain or not?

Also, you obviously need a DNS server who can resolve the .local
domain. Or use Grid Naming Service (GNS).

If you're interested, I can send you a complete documentation on how I
installed and configured 11gR2 RAC on RedHat Linux 5 x86_64.

Have fun,

David