Re: Laying out Oracle on a SAN

  • From: Karl Arao <karlarao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dcowles@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 21:08:56 +0800

Hi Doug,

If you have an existing environment and would like to go SAN. I would
first get the IO requirements of the peak and low workloads. I would
get the following requirements:

- Read and Write IOPS
- Redo IOPS
- Read and Write MB/s
- Redo MB/s

I would use the script here
http://karlarao.wordpress.com/2010/01/31/workload-characterization-using-dba_hist-tables-and-ksar/
to gather those info.

Then, I would discuss the numbers with the SAN storage engineer.. and
speak about the SAN capacity in terms of IOPS and MB/s and work with
him on how would I achieve the IO requirements of my database.

Then, I would validate the SAN environment by running Orion, or
actually running the workload.

BTW, I recommend you also read this paper by Krishna Manoharan.
 "Storage Design for Datawarehousing" presentation
http://sites.google.com/site/docsfordownload/files/StorageDesignforDatawarehousingv8.pdf?attredirects=0

Bottom line, your IO capacity should be able to handle your IO
requirements... be it RAID5 or RAID 10...

- Karl Arao
karlarao.wordpress.com