Re: LDAP used for database connect string resolution: best practices

  • From: "Frits Hoogland" <frits.hoogland@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mary_mcneely@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 17:29:57 +0100

Mary, I've setup oracle names resolution using fedora directory server

(a LDAP server which used to be netscape directory server, then became sun
directory server, and now is open sourced by redhat, and available as either
'redhat directory server' and 'fedora directory server'. it's known to be
rocksolid)

I've build two servers actually, setup with multimaster replication
(replicating to each other), with heartbeat passing on the cluster ip
address.

The setup requires some tweaking, but I've described it:
- http://frits.homelinux.com/wordpress/?p=7 (part 1)
- http://frits.homelinux.com/wordpress/?p=8 (part 2)

In essence, what needs to be done is making oracle specific objects in ldap,
for storing the connectstrings. Not a very big deal. As long as oracle uses
LDAP for communications (using the LDAP rfc, don't know number out of my
head), it works. It works now (until oracle client en server 10gr2), and as
long as oracle doesn't 'invent' their own ldap extentions (like microsoft
tends to do), it will be working.

I use it to have a central point for connectstrings in a 10 persons DBA
environment. There is a drawback: the way I've set it up, we cannot add
connectstrings using the oracle tools. We copy "template" connectstring, and
fill out the connection specific details: host, port, sid.

If you want more details, mail me directly.

frits
On 2/27/07, Mary Elizabeth McNeely <mary_mcneely@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Good afternoon, all,

I'd like to learn how others in the field are using Oracle's OID/LDAP
implementation to resolve database connect strings:

What LDAP server do you use in the background and how is that working for
you?  What version?

Do you have more than one OID server?  If so, do you have them configured
to automatically replicate the entries to each other?  Any gotchas with
that?

How have you chosen to implement failover between the
two?  Primary/secondary entries in a sqlnet.ora?  Single entry in
sqlnet.ora, and an IP address with round-robin DNS?  Other?  How has it
worked for you?

How many non-OID databases do you have?  What versions?  At what level of
transactional/resolution load do you find you need a secondary OID server?

Any words of wisdom or things you'd wished you'd known sooner?

If you will reply to me privately, I'd be glad to post a follow-up message
with a summary of the responses received.

Thanks much - woo hoo!, my first oracle-l post! -
Mary Elizabeth McNeely