Kerberos authentication fails with ORA 1017 in 11g - Wallet getting in the way?

  • From: Debi Lorraine <dlorraine@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 10:26:28 -0800

Chris Taylor posted something similar.  We are experiencing a connection issue
on our new server using 11g that seems to first try to use a wallet connection:

[18-FEB-2010 09:13:07:448] nzupgew_get_environ_wrl: Environment Variable not
found or empty value.
[18-FEB-2010 09:13:07:448] nzupgew_get_environ_wrl: returning error: 28781

After this initial handshake, it forgets it's doing a kerberos authentication
and we get an invalid username/password, ORA 1017, instead of a credentials
retrieval failure, or better yet, successful connection!

I can connect from this new server to our old server, successfully
authenticating using Kerberos.  I can authenticate with Kerberos from the new
server to a directly-that is, not using a remote connection--but as soon as I
introduce the remote connection (TWO_TASK pointing to a kerberized listener
network string), it seems to want to use wallet authentication first (which is
an interesting twist, because I would like to use wallet authentication with
TWO_TASK but have never been able to make that work-maybe that's an 11g
feature).

We do use the wallet for TDE, but it is not configured for OS authentication.
I wonder if there is something I can to tell Oracle to not try to use the
wallet for OS authentication?  (I've had a service request open with Oracle
since Feb 4 -why don't they require their support staff to work the same shift
as the people they support?)

Does anyone even use Kerberos?

Thanks,

Debi