Re: Jumbo Frames : RHLinux , NetApp, Which NICs and Switches ?

  • From: "K Gopalakrishnan" <kaygopal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 17:56:12 -0800

Hemant,

Jumbo frames are (or were.. if that is changed in recent)  normally
not recommended for Linux and Itanium based clusters due to numerous
bugs/patches at OS related issues. Performance gain usually dependent
on how much data you are sharing between instances.

Jumbo frames normally do not make any impact in GES performance as GES
messages are very small (typically 200 bytes?). However for 8k block
size, having a 9k MTU certainly helps as we can ship the data block in
one packet rather than sending it in 4 different packets.

Regarding performance gains, I have seen improvements upto 50% in few
cases (Apps on RAC) and it is certainly a good thing to have. But they
were on sun clusters and i do not have any direct experience in Linux.
I am open for your experience :)

-Gopal

On 1/5/07, Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If you have successfully used Jumbo Frames for a Linux Oracle Database Server
connecting to a NetApp Filer, could you reply to me with information such as :
1.  What performance gain did you see switching to Jumbo Frames ?
2.  What NIC , Switches and Drivers were used ? Whether you had problems
getting them to work together ?

--
Best Regards,
K Gopalakrishnan