Re: Is it possible to print from PL/SQL without using external procedures?

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mag.andersen@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 21:45:04 -0400

On 05/26/2006 09:05:04 PM, Magnus Andersen wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Is there a way to print to a printer from a stored procedure without
> using external procedures?  I'd like to issue the equivalent to "lpr
> -o raw -P printer_name file_name" where the file_name is replaced with
> a variable.

Yes, it is possible to do that. The best canned way to do so that I'm aware
of is to install extproc_perl. Of course, if you don't want to do that, you
can always resort to UTL_HTTP and a CGI procedure which would accept the file
argument and send it to the desired printer.

> I'm running Oracle 9.2.0.7 on RHEL 3.  The printer I'm trying to print
> to is a Zebra label printer.

Oh, Zebra! That's something entirely different! You can't do that.
This works only for HP printers. No grazing animals allowed.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com