Re: Interpreting a direct path read wait

  • From: Daniel Fink <daniel.fink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: peter.schauss@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 11:42:51 -0600

The file is likely a TEMP tablespace file. Probably a sort or temporary table (were those in 8i?...long time since I dealt with an 8i db)

I think the file number for temporary files is determined by starting the file numbering scheme at db_files + 1 (if db_files = 200, then the first temp file is 201, second 202, etc)

Regards,
Daniel Fink

--
Daniel Fink

OptimalDBA.com - Oracle Performance, Diagnosis, Data Recovery and Training

OptimalDBA    http://www.optimaldba.com
Oracle Blog   http://optimaldba.blogspot.com

Lost Data?    http://www.ora600.be/

Schauss, R. Peter (IT Solutions) wrote:
This is Oracle 8.1.7.4.

I am attempting to interpret a 10046 trace, looking at a line that says:

WAIT #1: nam='direct path read' ela= 0 p1=202 p2=955893 p3=16

As I understand it, p1 is the file number and p2 is the block number,
but my database does not have a file number 202.  What am I missing
here?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss