Incomplete recovery question

  • From: Maureen English <sxmte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 10:09:50 -0900

We've been trying to find information about when a value got
changed in our database, and who changed it.  Logminer didn't
help since the change was a chained row.  So, we've been
restoring the database from different backups to a point in
time when the change *could* have occurred.  Our most recent
attempt to find the change resulted in an ora-01152 error.

I understand the reason for the error...our restore was to
a point in time (Aug 7th), but three datafiles that were
created after the backup we used (July 6th), were restored
from a backup on Aug 17th.  So, these three datafiles have
a date in the future of when we want to recover to.

I believe that I can just restore the datafiles, and while
I'm still at the point where I received the error, I can
then reissue my 'recover database until change xxxxxxx'
command.

Does anyone know if this will really work, or am I going
to need to restore the original datafiles yet again?  Is
there another option, like taking these three datafiles
offline and then issuing my 'alter database open resetlogs'
command?

TIA.

- Maureen
  University of Alaska