Re: I'm stuck replace(column, '''') and replace(column,chr(39)) not working

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 20:32:09 -0600

Could you perhaps show the error message, if any. If OS interfering? Which tool are you using (sqlplus, sqldeveloper, sqlcl, toad, etc.)?

Have you tried the quote operator? (update customers set ein = replace(ein,q'[']');)

/Hans

On 01/09/2016 6:40 PM, Rob Lockard wrote:

This should be easy, maybe i've been working it for too long, or don't know.

Anyway, I have a column that wound up getting populated with a leading ' (single quote)

update customers set ein = replace(ein,''''); and update customers set ein = replace(ein,chr(39)); does not work. Well, the message says updated but when I query the table, it's still there. There is something simple that I'm missing and for the life of me, I can't figure it out.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. By that definition; I've been insane for the past two hours.
-Rob