Re: IO Details || ORCL

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 01:21:19 -0400

On 7/14/23 23:34, Krishnaprasad Yadav wrote:

How to calculate read response time for a single block and for multiple blocks for an oracle database ?
i tried certain research  from different website , we see only metric is about :   'Average Synchronous Single-Block Read Latency'  , i can't get any further details  ,  Are Average Synchronous Single-Block Read Latency can be used to calculate the IO-throughput from database .

SLOB can help you with that. SLOB is an abbreviation for "Silly Little Oracle Benchmark" and was written by Kevin Closson, The software can be downloaded from GitHub. My favorite starting point for all things SLOB is: https://kevinclosson.net/slob/

If you don't want to include database in measuring the IO characteristics of your system, you can also use things like fio or bonnie++. Those programs are benchmark which measure IO performance. Especially fio has many options to emulate Oracle I/O (direct I/O)  and is a great tool.

Oracle has DBMS_RESOURCE_MANAGER.CALIBRATE_IO. However, the results aren't repeatable which makes it somewhat questionable as a benchmark.

You can even update SYS.RESOURCE_IO_CALIBRATE$ manually. That's what SLOB is for. There was even a bug with DBMS_STATS failing because of row lock contention in RESOURCE_IO_CALIBRATE$ and Oracle Support directed people to truncate this table manually.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant