RE: How to use dbms_shared_pool.purge for heap 6 only?

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:22:51 -0500

Hi Brandon,

Wow, talk about cryptic.  It took some thinking, but I think I've got it.

The "<<" operator is a binary shift.  So, 1<<0 means take the binary digit '1'
and shift it zero positions left.  So, it's 1.  1<<6 means, take the one and
shift it left 6 places.  So, 1000000, so, 1000000+1 = 1000001 = 0x41 = 65.

A much easier way to express it is, if you want to dump heaps 6 and one, use
the value 2^6 + 2^1.

But, that's a hardcore C coder for you!  Let's use binary shift notation! :)

Hope that helps,

-Mark