Re: How to trace what is happening inside the stored procedure

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle L (E-mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 10:40:48 -0700

> the action parameter - due to Oracle's immense
> shortsightedness - is only 32 bytes long.
>
> And the module is only a little more: 48
>
> Why would anyone go to the lengths of making this available
> and then brain damage it with a ridiculously small text size
> is beyond me.
>
> It's not like we are short of memory in today's hardware...

A trenchant observation, but here are some things to consider...

The session info (i.e. V$SESSION) is not the only place where MODULE and
ACTION are used.  If you notice, they are also used in the Library Cache, in
the Shared SQL Area, as exposed by the V$SQL view.  Thus, the same SQL
statement executed while either MODULE or ACTION have different values will
result in a new entry in V$SQL.

So, MODULE and ACTION are also taking up space in the Shared Pool, as well
as the session global areas.  Not only are they taking up space, but they
are being used as part of a "primary key" value.  Like any other "primary
key" then, there are a lot of good reasons to keep the values concise.

Besides, what's wrong with 32 bytes and 48 bytes?  If you can't say
something unique in 32-48 characters, it's probably not worth saying.
Reference "The Elements of Style" by Strunk and White...  :-)

So, I wouldn't call it "short-sightedness", but I would call it poor
documentation...