Re: How to trace a Windows session

  • From: "Anurag Varma" <avoracle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:39:02 -0500

On 2/26/07, William Wagman <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Greetings,

I am trying to turn tracing on for another users session in order to
track down some difficulties. The session is coming from a web
application which will allow updates to data within the database. I can
see the users session and the osuser displayed in the v$session view is
NETWORK?SERVICE. I turn on tracing for this session using
dbms_system.set_sql_trace_in_session, the user proceeds, receives an
ORA-00942 but no trace file appears. Quite understand what is going on
and am hoping someone can shed some light on the situation.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center
wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx
(530) 754-6208

It could be either that you are tracing the wrong session or
dbms_system.set_sql_trace_in_session
is not working in your case. I've heard reports that it does not work when a
session is active.

Try oradebug, I use it quite frequently.

Pete has a good writeup on various ways to set trace:

http://www.petefinnigan.com/ramblings/how_to_set_trace.htm

--
Anurag Varma