Re: How to check if index was updated?

  • From: Riyaj Shamsudeen <rshamsud@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:28:34 -0500

Hi Raj
   I thought, you were listening to my presentation in HOTSOS 2006 ;-)

   Dumping the log file will tell you that.

Is there an easy way ? Sure, modify the code to explicitly update this pk indexed column also, measure the redo size. Then execute the code without explicitly updating the pk column, measure the redo size. This will give you a clue whether pk indexed columns were updated or not.

Thanks
Riyaj

Niall Litchfield wrote:
*easiest* way, trace it and look at the recursive sql.
or you could dump the relevant index blocks to disk before and after.

Me, I probably wouldn't care.

On 4/26/06, rjamya <rjamya@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Got a query from my developers, they are trying to use the
"update xxx set row " syntax to modify a row using a record.

How would I verify that pk index will not get updated if only non
indexed columns were changed in the record?

is there an easy way? btw this is on 10104.

TIA
Rjamya
Got RAC?

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info

material.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that your access is unauthorized, and any review,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this message including any
attachments is strictly prohibited.   If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender and delete the material from any
computer.