How much of the new features course is cost options?

  • From: Paul Houghton <Paul.Houghton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle L (oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 11:09:53 +0000

I am looking at the 12c new features course to see how much is about cost
options which we don't have. It is of interest to see what is available of
course, but I do find my mind wandering when being taught in detail about
things I know I won't be able to use. We have enterprise edition with
diagnostic and tuning packs.

It looks like of the 17 topics, 9 are included in enterprise edition, and
another 2 included in the diagnostic pack, meaning that if equal time is spent
on each topic (Unlikely) about 1/3 of the time will be spent on options I can't
use (Or more, because there are two topics which are partially about cost
options.

Has anyone done the course? How valuable was it? Here is my attempt to match up
the advertised course topics with the licensing information for enterprise
edition. Let me know if I have made a mistake!

  Online Data-file Move     (Included)
  Unified Auditing          (Included)
  Administrative privileges (New backup database role? Included)
  Data Pump                 (Included)
  SQL                       (Included)
  Temporal history          (Included except for optimization - Advanced
compression)
  Temporal validity         (Included but most useful with ILM?)
  Adaptive Execution Plans  (Included)
  SQL Plan Directives       (Included - part of Adaptive Execution Plans)

  Real-Time ADDM            (Requires diagnostic pack?)
  Compare Period ADDM       (Requires diagnostic pack?)

  Heat Map                    (Requires advanced compression)
  Automatic Data Optimization (Requires advanced compression)

  Row-archival              (ILM - cost option?)
  Privilege Analysis        (Requires Oracle Database Vault)
  Data Redaction            (Requires Oracle Advanced Security)
  Partitioning              (Requires Partitioning)

Cheers

PaulH