RE: How much advisable is to migrate from oracle server to linux server 0-100?

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Hans Forbrich'" <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 11:58:40 -0400

Nods, while noting that at some large enough scale there is probably sufficient
performance achievable per license unit CPU to save enough money on Oracle
licenses to buy yourself some very dandy UNIX or Linux administrative services.

At least last time someone paid me to measure OS overhead on a pure Oracle
server the rank was UNIX > Linux >> Windows comparing throughput per CPU.
I'm not sure whether any of the TPCs are framed up that way to minimize total
cost including the software licenses. And it was a while ago. Maybe someone
really good at Windows could turn off more of those CPU time suck services that
seem to keep popping up for various purposes like plug-n-play and seeing
whether you have any new media to share or view on the network, but it seems
unclear for some other services which ones may cause a problem eventually if
you turn them off.

Forward looking there is probably some margin of worth in "update on the fly
kernel support" for non-RAC systems that looks like it is getting real in
Oracle Linux.

But notice I started with "Nods" and the rest are non-general case
considerations.

mwf