Re: How enforce uniqueness across partitions in the partition table?

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2017 05:44:20 -0400

Hi Stefan,
Thanks for the information. However, I am slightly put off by the "myriad of options" that Oracle has available. Any additional useful feature that they make is included as an additional payment option. That is why advanced compression, a very useful option indeed, is not frequently found in the field. People are rather giving up on AWR reports than paying additional $5000/CPU core required to use it. I doubt that even a very informative pointer to Oracle Documentation and Richard Foote's blog will manage to persuade a CIO to spend and additiona $100K just for the database software. And let's not fool ourselves: Oracle is in decline. Oracle DBA jobs, once a mainstay of Dice and Monster, are now very hard to find. If I were a CIO, I would not purchase Oracle, precisely because of the "option madness" which makes it much, much more expensive than the other database varieties. The other database varieties may not be as good as Oracle, but are good enough. From practical side, I am not sure that we will encounter this new option at many user sites.
Regards

On 05/31/2017 02:19 PM, Stefan Koehler wrote:

Hey Vadim,
which Oracle version?

Starting with 12c you have the "Asynchronous Global Index Maintenance" option - dropping
a partition does not "invalidate" the (global) index.

http://docs.oracle.com/database/121/VLDBG/GUID-087B87A6-959A-40C6-82AF-36E401FD089B.htm#VLDBG14107

https://richardfoote.wordpress.com/2013/08/02/12c-asynchronous-global-index-maintenance-part-i-where-are-we-now/
Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Independent Oracle performance consultant and researcher
Website: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: @OracleSK
Upcoming online seminar: http://tinyurl.com/17-06-13-Shared-Pool-Internals
Vadim Keylis <vkeylis2009@xxxxxxxxx> hat am 31. Mai 2017 um 20:09 geschrieben:

  Good morning. We have table that is partition using interval partition. Older
partition will be dropped on regularly. What is the best practice to
enforce uniqueness across partitions considering that global index is not an
option since it becomes invalid once partition is dropped?
Thanks so much in advance,
  Vadim

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA