Horizontally scaling a database

  • From: "Sandeep Dubey" <dubey.sandeep@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:38:57 -0400

Hi all,

I am looking for ideas how to scale database horizontally as opposed
to adding more CPUs, memory and disks on a single machine.

Here are the main requirements:

We need to store apporx 300 GB of data a month. It will be OLTP system.
We want to use commodity hardware and open source database. we are
willing to sacrifice performance for cost. E.g. a single row search
from 2 billion rows table should be returned in 2 sec.
Start with one server, when it reaches its capacity add one more
server and so on.

Oracle RAC doesn't fit as it is single storage system. MySQL cluster
database replicates data to all its cluster- we don't want to
replicate the data.

I am trying to emulate google type file system with RDBMS capabilities
something like a database farm where each database work independently.
A query is submitted to all databases in the farm, matching data found
and gathered at one place and returned as single output.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sandeep