Re: Heisenberg and measurement intrusion....

  • From: JApplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:49:39 -0500

That is bogus beyond belief.  The Heisenberg Uncertainty Priciple mainly
invoved predicting the position of an electron around an atomic nucleus.
Even a single photon of light (the mechanism of "observing" / measuring
the electron's position) would radically offset the electron, so you'd
never  know where it was at before the "measuring" photon hit it.

If the Measurement / Measured relationship is on the scale of Photon /
Electron, then there's reason to be concerned.  However, realistically,
the amount of heat extracted from a person's body to expand the mercury in
a thermometer to measure that person's temperature introduces no error in
the measured temperature.

Unless your database monitoring tool is more like a sledgehammer than a
stethoscope, you're OK.

Of course, that's IMHO.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin (Texas) Independent School District
512.414.9715 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)

 I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid.
 That's what I call Intelligent Design. -- God ("Origin of Species": Chris
Smither)

"Ted Coyle" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
07/31/2007 03:38 PM
Please respond to
oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx

"'oracle-l'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Heisenberg and measurement intrusion....

I'm on an Oracle performance project and a project participant made a
statement regarding measurement intrusion.

Is the statement below accurate?
"So the Heisenberg uncertainty principle mandates we run without
monitoring
as a baseline."

I responded with a wikipedia link which I'll send later, but I'd like to
get
opinions first.  :)

Regards,
Ted