Re: Has anyone used 10g Rel 1 with Oracle Names?

  • From: Ron Thomas <rthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:56:36 -0700

Yup.  Looks like they made good on their threats...

From metalink-

From: Oracle, Kurt Bevers 02-Feb-04 23:36
Subject: Re : Oracle Names and 10G (and beyond)

Oracle Corporation announces the end of error correction for Oracle Names on
all platforms. The
desupport date of Oracle Names is dependent on the schedule of Oracle9i.
Oracle9i (v8.2) will be the
terminal release of Oracle Names.

10G is not ceritfied to be used with Oracle Names on previous versions.

This could get interesting.  Names has been a god-send around here.

Ron Thomas
Hypercom, Inc
rthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxx
"To really screw up Linux you have to work at it...To really screw up Windows,
you have to work ON
it..."

             john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxx

             Sent by:

             oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
             rg                                  oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                 cc

             04/23/2004 03:37 PM
            Subject
                                                 Has anyone used 10g Rel 1 with
Oracle Names?

                  Please respond to

               oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all,

In the process of testing 10g rel 1, I see that neither 'namesctl' and
associated Onames directories exist, nor does it resolve TNS entries unless
made available via tnsnames.ora..... If so, then Oracle has _finally_
implemented its threat to retire Oracle Names (but not resolution via
tnsnames.ora!)

This is on a downloaded 10G release on Solaris though, so I am wondering if
anyone can test this out in a full release. [I am in the process of ordering
the media].

Thanks,
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Listen to great, commercial-free christian music 24x7x365 at
http://www.klove.com

** The opinions and facts contained in this message are entirely mine and do
not reflect those of my employer or customers **