Hardware Question

  • From: "Hostetter, Jay M" <JHostetter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:14:30 -0400

  Our sysadmins are spec-ing out some new hardware.  We currently have 2
DEC/Compaq/HP GS80s running Tru64.  Each has 6 cpus (733 Mhz EV6 Alpha
processors) and 8 Gb of memory.
I am told that a new IBM p650 with 4 cpus (split into 2 partitions of
two cpus) and 9 Gb of memory (on each partition) will be at least as
good as our current system.  The p650  has 1.45 Ghz processors and will
run AIX.
One of our GS80s runs about 13 Oracle databases (varying in size, number
of users, amount of transactions, etc. - nothing extraordinary).  The
other runs our Oracle Applications (around 60 users).  Performance has
been satisfactory, with the exception of some bottlenecks at the SAN
controllers, but that is another story.
  I am being asked if the new configuration will handle our workload -
and as far as I can tell this will just be an educated guess.  I can
look at vendor numbers all day - what I need is some real life
experience.  I know that there are lots of variables involved, but I am
hoping that somebody with a little more experience with Oracle on the
IBM platform can tell me:
a) yes - that's a smokin' configuration
b) chances are it will work for you
c) that configuration isn't even in the ballpark
d) run away screaming from this hardware and OS
or some variation thereof

Thanks,
Jay

**DISCLAIMER
This e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended for the use
of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and may contain
information that is privileged, proprietary and confidential. If you are not
the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message
or any information contained in the message. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail
message. The contents do not represent the opinion of D&E except to the extent
that it relates to their official business.