Granted privileges

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:26:45 -0200

Hey everyone,

      Yesterday I was toying arround with a MySQL (and toying is about
everything I could do) and I found a rather interesting thing.

   I created a database 'db1' and a user 'db1', obviously (as I'm an
oracle dba) user db1 had full privileges on database db1, however I
then created another user (to run the authentication side of the
application) and then granted just select on the tables of database
db1 (I then removed this privilege and added select just on the users
table). But the interesting thing I found is that I can grant a user
privileges on database level. In Oracle terms it would be like
granting a user privileges over a schema (not owned by it). This is
not possible in Oracle (afaik), object level privileges have to bee
granted for every object. I've found some workarrounds over the years
but never a simple solution like GRANT SELECT ON ANY TABLE FROM
<schema> TO <user>; which would be awesome ^_^ (yes, I know about
synonyms, triggers and everything, I've done it, it's just that It
seems a little too much work for something so simple).

so... I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on this (I know there are
some great DBAs arround this list and I always appreciate your
comments).

Have fun, life's too short

Alan Bort
Oracle Certified Professional