Re: Grabbing sequence values blocks in consecutive order: Need a guaranteed method.

  • From: Greg Rahn <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:10:48 -0700

Taking a big step back from all the suggestions, I would like to ask
what is the specific level of granularity required for the ordered/gap
less sequence.  For example,  is this for "things" withing a given
application transaction?  Is it across multiple "things" for
application transactions?  I'm also curious what the requirement
(business and/or technical) for gap less sequences is?

Order implies a level of serialization and gap less order implies
exclusive serialization and serialization is the bane of scalability.
There was a comment made about having 2 threads, but if they serialize
for the same resource, what benefit is there to that?

--
Regards,
Greg Rahn