Future ETL directions w/o CDC...

  • From: David Mann <dmann99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 10:46:01 -0400

I have a customer with a home grown set of data warehouse processes. A mix
of IBM DataStage for ETL and triggers for data movement are the main
components right now. Load/update performance is abysmal and they are
researching options.
I'm pretty sure I am able to tune any flush-and-fill type of activities
they run. The hard part is always the incremental updates. I do remember
DataStage and Informatica being able to talk CDC with optional adaptors. I
was about to recommend looking into these then I remembered reading the
11gR2 documentation which mentioned future desupport of CDC and the 12c
release notes which officially call it out as deprecated.

With the sunsetting of CDC in 12c, does anyone have any ideas on places to
look for feeding incremental updates into the popular ETL tools?

I have extensive experience with GoldenGate, but don't know of any products
that integrate with it just yet. I can introduce a new set of landing
tables into the processing but GG hides the complexity of the change stream
pretty well and I'm trying to avoid engineering a hybrid approach from
scratch - GG to capture changes and custom code to make them appear
"CDC-like" to existing processes.

--
Dave Mann
General Geekery | www.brainio.us