RE: Flash technology based HDD will it make significant difference for OLTP applications?

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>, <j.velikanovs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 11:12:12 -0500

I'm fairly neutral on the subject of RAM-and-SSD storage technologies,
as I think far more improvements would be had overall by tuning queries
and applications correctly, instead of trying to optimize the storage.
However, one technical point - all of the SSD technologies to
write-balancing, to make sure that blocks get written to evenly over
time, as well as detecting failing blocks and moving their data over to
good ones.  With flash or other SSD storage, a "block" is just a logical
mapping to an arbitrary point on the flash memory, since there's no
rotational performance impact.

Thanks,

Matt