Re: Export/backup Stored Database Procedures

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mladen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:22:05 -0500

On 02/12/2004 02:40:20 PM, Michael Fontana wrote:

> What methods do most on this list use to back up stored database
> procedures?
>
> I am familiar with exporting the SYS user only, and importing to
> another
> staging database, and pulling the source code out of there, but I
> must
> admit, this involves several steps and is a relative "kludge".
>
> A DBA in our group, with Sybase and SQLServer experience, complains
> because Oracle does not have a method to single out such objects for
> backup.

Well, hopefully, you are backing up your database. As for the stored
procedures, they're called "stored" because they're stored in the
database. Consequently, when you back up your database, you back up
your stored procedures as well. Also, it is beneficial that duhvelopers
who duhveleped them have them stored in CVS, RCS, SCCS or something
similar. In addition to that, you should backup all files
and subdirectories from the directory that PLSQL_NATIVE_LIBRARY_DIR
parameter points to. That is particularly important if your parameter
PLSQL_CODE_TYPE is set to "NATIVE".