Enforcing password rules in oracle database

  • From: Mahesh G <gmaheshji@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 14:00:34 +0530

Hi all,

We have one requirement to enforce below mentioned password rules for all
newly created user accounts in our environment.

1) All passwords must have at least 7 characters in length
2) All Logins will require the use of a password
3) Passwords must not match the username
4) Unsuccessful login attempts must be audited
5) Password duration <= 90 days
6) Failed logins limit = 6

Oracle built-in feature, setting Default profile and calling verify_function
function ($ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlpwdmg.sql ) doesnt serve my purpose.
Because 2 rule will be violated for those users who use external password
option. My env is combination of 9i, 10g & 11g version databases.

Can you recommend / suggest any best way to implement the above rules ? It
would be great help.

Regards,
- Mahesh