Re: Effect of multiple block sizes on performance

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:55:03 +0100

There are a few little oddities where
performance can be affected.

1) Using single table hash clusters - smaller
block sizes can give a slight edge if you can't
guarantee non-collision of hash keys.

2) If you aren't using CPU costing, the cost
of tablescans is affected non-linearly, so (e.g.)
a 16 block read on 4K blocks does not have
the same cost as an 8 block read on 8K blocks.
Bigger blocksizes will introduce a bias towards
tablescans.

Of course, different block sizes may require
different numbers of block gets for the same
query, so possible changes in contention on
latching.  Bigger blocks could cause more
collisions on inserts, updates, and deletes,
especially on indexes.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated May 1st