RE: Effect of Blob Column on Statistics

  • From: "Christian Antognini" <Christian.Antognini@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle.tutorials@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 08:21:28 +0200

Deepak

>Want to know when I collect statistics of a table using DBMS_STATS
>package, is there any statistics related to BLOB column are gathered?
>
>Let's suppose
>> I gathered the statistics of a table T1 using DBMS_STATS.
>> Added a Blob column to the table T1.
>
>Need I collect statistics for the table T1 again? If I do not, then
>will it affect the performance?

Notice that the size of the table changes if you add a BLOB column, even if the
BLOB is stored out-of-line. Therefore, you probably need to gather the stats...

Regards,
Chris

New Features Oracle Database 10g Release 2 seminars @ www.trivadis.com
Italiano: Lugano (24-Nov)
Français: Genève (17-Nov)
Deutsch: Düsseldorf (23-Nov), Zürich (29-Nov), Stuttgart (13-Dec)