RE: Edition Based Redefinition with Peoplesoft 8.x / 9.x in 11.2

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Hemant-K.Chitale@xxxxxx>, "'ORACLE-L'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 09:58:33 -0400

I had a brief email exchange with Bryn about this, which I paraphrase below.
Any errors are MINE, but I hope I have captured the essentials:

1) EBR can be used only after adopting it. And adopting it means changes
to the set of within-database artifacts that define the application's
backend. Moreover, patch scripts then have to be written, for each exercise,
a new way. If you'll be at OpenWorld you can attend the talk by AmEx on how
they did this. CON8704 in the content catalog
<https://events.rainfocus.com/oow15/catalog/oracle.jsp?search.event=openworl
dEvent> .

2) For folks using any off the shelf app, you need to get the software
vendor to adopt EBR methods. In the case of Peoplesoft the vendor is now
Oracle, in particular Oracle's Peoplesoft Development Team.

3) All the up to date documentation and papers starts at oracle.com/ebr
(quite an obvious url, once you realize that is the starting point.)

4) The latest published version of the paper of interest is HERE
<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/availability/edition-ba
sed-redefinition-1-133045.pdf> . An update of the document is pending,
likely to include details of improvements for 12.1 and 12.2 when details of
12.2 can be documented.

mwf: For software where you do control the source, the referenced paper
explains the overall process including the "cross editions triggers" that
are essential to maintaining edition correct equivalence across editions you
describe below as "current" and "new" for the code and "active" and
"not-yet-active" with respect to the data. I would urge you to use precisely
the language Bryn uses in the official documents as you move forward.

Good luck with the lobbying effort with development. As per usual my
suggestion on that is to leverage both key accounts AND users groups in that
effort.

Mark