RE: ESRI ArcSDE application

  • From: "Browett, Darren" <dbrowett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fuadar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:50:54 -0700

We have arcsde running on unix.   Not sure how to explain it, but it
provides an interface between arcims,arcmap, arc/info and oracle.  It is
faster and more
efficient then oracle spatial (We ran tests)

It is very easy to setup, simply create a new user (in our case gisadm),
within the configuration files (dbinit) have it reference the oracle
home of the database, supply
the SID,  and you are off to the races.

The reason you want it on the SAME box, is there is a lot of "chatter"
between sde and the database.  I liken it to the concurrent managers of
oracle financials,
it runs more efficiently if it is on the same box.

Darren.