Re: EMC storage replication

  • From: John Clarke <centroid.dba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <goran00@xxxxxxxxx>, ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 08:51:14 -0500

We've used EMC RecoverPoint to replicate Oracle LUNs between sites for
purposes of disaster recovery and cloning, both ASM and non-ASM storage,
with a good deal of success.  Relatively straightforward to configure
assuming a good knowledge of Oracle and EMC storage.   You basically define
one or more consistency groups in the RP, define source and target LUN
mappings, tweak site-specific settings that deal with throughput, what types
of hosts access the storage, etc.

If you want Active-Active type of access, like 11g Active Data guard, you
won't get this - you'll need to build snapshots on the replica LUNs (taken
on an image-access copy), but these can be done pretty quickly and can all
be scripted.

So it depends on what you really want to accomplish, but our experience has
been good.

- John

From:  goran bogdanovic <goran00@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Thu, 2 Dec 2010 13:58:54 +0100
To:  ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  EMC storage replication

Hi all,

at the place where I work, management would like to implement EMC
Replication (as we have EMC SAN's) for our databases between two Data
Centers instead of DataGuard for certain DB-systems.
According to EMC sales, the process is certified by Oracle although I didn't
find any reference on Metalink (could be also, I didn't search it well).
If someone (out there ;-) ) is already using it, I would appreciate if you
could tell me your experiences and possible pitfalls regarding
implementation.

Best Regards,
Goran