Re: EMC Timefinder consistent split and Oracle --

  • From: Harel Safra <harel.safra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sat0789@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 13:50:59 +0200

Startup mount
Recover database using backup controlfile until cancel;
Alter database open resetlogs;

It wont know that there're new archives, you'll have to tell it in the
recover command (it'll prompt for archive names)

Harel Safra
Sent from my phone.
On Mar 29, 2011 1:22 PM, "sathish balasubramaniam" <sat0789@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Agreed....but this is case where because of timefinder split, the clone
> copy is equivalent to as if instance has been aborted.
> No recovery is required other than reading online redo.
> But becaue of sync is ongoing between primary and BCV archive DG, we have
> few more archvie logs on the BCV side which are beyond the time when the
> split happened.
> I understand i don't have to do recover database , but a startup alone
will
> be enough to do instance recovery -- but that will not apply the new
archive
> logs.
> My question is if i do a startup mount and do a recover database until
> cancel, will my new archive logs that got generated after the split be
> applied.
> If the answer is yes, how does recover process know that there are new
> archive logs present that we can apply.
>

> Thanks,
>

> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 3:10 PM, Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>wrote:
>
>> Seems to me, you are confusing instance recovery and database recovery.
>> If instance crashes, and there's mo physical corruption, you'll get
>> automatic instance recovery on next startup. If that happens, Oracle will
>> automatically roll forward to time of crash, using active and current
redo
>> log. Archive logs will not be involved.
>>
>> If you issue 'recover database until...', now you're talking database
>> recovery after restore from backup, and archive logs will need to be
>> applied.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Mar 29, 2011, at 6:55 AM, "sathish balasubramaniam" <sat0789@xxxxxxxxx
>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Basically what i am asking is i have had a database abort.
>> And in this case a few more archive logs are generated after that due to
>> timfinder sync.
>> When i mount the database, control file is read and the locations and
other
>> info are verified.
>> Then whe i issue recover database until command.
>> I am assuming here that the recover database portion of the script will
>> say and only instance recovery is required by looking at stop/start SCN
and
>> checkpoint SCN.
>>
>> So how will it know that there are few more new archive logs that need to
>> be applied.
>> Thanks,
>> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Kumar Madduri <ksmadduri@xxxxxxxxx
>wrote: