Re: Dormant database user accounts

  • From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 12:47:38 -0400

Indeed.

Checking your "infosec" policies first would be an excellent idea.

An excellent (and not entirely uncommon) policy is that "*user accounts may
never be deleted*" -- or, perhaps more properly "*userids may never be
reused*".  They're not the same thing, but in Oracle, probably not too far
off.

Lots of sites do AUDITING.  Those who do feel a perverse need to attribute
audited actions to specific individuals.  When accounts get deleted, or
worse, userids are reused, the attributions in the audit data will probably
stop working properly -- you either lose track of to whom to attribute an
action, or you attribute it to the wrong person.

There's a fair-to-middling chance that your security officer would prefer
the you keep dormant accounts *locked* and *expired* (and keep them that
way indefinitely), rather than deleting them.

Even if there *aren't* already policies like this in place, perhaps there
should be.  You might be doing people a favour by suggesting it before you
start deleting old accounts.