Re: Distribution of Objects between files

  • From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Amir Gheibi" <gheibia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 11:39:01 +0200

        Amir,

           I suspect you have an SQL Server background. You haven't
distributed transactions between tablespaces, and joins between
tables in different tablespaces are not costlier than joins between
(non clustered) tables in the same tablespace. Short answer to your
questions: no you can't, and you should use different tablespaces,
your fears are groundless.

        SF

          BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }
 On Tue 6/04/10 11:15 , Amir Gheibi gheibia@xxxxxxxxx sent:
  Hi listers,
  I have a new requirement that is dictated by the software
applications that connect to a particular DB which is a 10gR2 DB.
These two applications uses tables of their own and there are a few
tables that are shared between them. All of these tables are located
in one tablespace and both applications are using one connection
string to connect to this DB. But now these tables are required to be
separated physically. I know that I can have a tablespace with
multiple files scattered across multiple disks or servers. BUT CAN I
ENFORCE THE LOCATION OF A PARTICULAR TABLE? COULD I RESTRICT A TABLE
TO A DATAFILE?
  MY SECOND QUESTION IS THAT WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO TAKE ONE OF A
TABLESPACE\'S FILE DOWN (I.E.: MAKE IT OFFLINE) AND STILL COMMIT
TRANSACTIONS IN THAT TABLESPACE AS LONG AS THEY DON\'T HAVE TO
READ/WRITE ANYTHING FROM/TO ANY OF THE OBJECTS IN THAT FILE?
  THE WHOLE IDEA IS TO ISOLATE THE TABLES OF ONE APPLICATION FROM
ANOTHER IN SEPARATE FILES SO IF ONE FILE BECOMES INACCESSIBLE THE
OTHER APPLICATION CONTINUE TO WORK.  However, I don't want to use
multiple tablespaces. Because then applications will have to change
to handle distributed transactions between tablespaces, let alone
reading and joining tables from two different tablespaces.