Re: Disable flashback in either shutdown or nomount mode?

  • From: Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Seth Miller <sethmiller.sm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 21:21:21 -0500

It is creating the flashback log as part of the mounting process. Here is
the alert log snippet that I'm basing this on:

Sun Sep 21 09:40:38 2014
Successful mount of redo thread 3, with mount id 4175062721
Sun Sep 21 10:23:02 2014
Allocated 331130296 bytes in shared pool for flashback generation buffer
Starting background process RVWR
Sun Sep 21 10:23:02 2014
RVWR started with pid=28, OS id=69631
Database mounted in Exclusive Mode
Lost write protection disabled
Completed: alter database mount
Sun Sep 21 10:23:15 2014
alter database flashback off
Stopping background process RVWR
Deleted Oracle managed file
/mnt/foo/fra/FOO/flashback/o1_mf__1411306838866824_.flb
Flashback Database Disabled
Completed: alter database flashback off

You can see the 43 minute delay between the mount of the last redo thread
and the flashback generation buffer. During that time I see the flashback
.flb log file being written to on the NFS mount. When that finishes, the
database is mounted and flashback is immediately disabled (per the script).

Don.

--
Don Seiler
http://www.seiler.us