Re: Different Day/Night Thresholds in EM12c?

  • From: Ethan Post <post.ethan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nathan.owen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 09:59:02 -0500

I don't use EM for monitoring so I can only describe one of my tricks here
and perhaps there is a way to implement in EM. I buffer all messages which
are not CRITICAL, so if you get 100 messages in 5 minutes, everything is
bundled into a single message. At night I change the interval from minutes
to hours, in fact I usually set it to a really high number and then just
have a job that delivers the buffer at 8AM. So first thing in the morning I
see all of the messages which came in during the night in a single email.
CRITICAL warnings still page (and dumps the buffer) and in some cases open
service desk tickets, however, I would really recommend you limit CRiTICAL
warnings. If you have good CPU monitoring in place then there is really no
reason to have a CRITICAL alert on things like the number of users and if
you do what you would do would be to set up active users at 120 as a
WARNING and 300 as CRITICAL, warnings would not get you out of bed. Hope
this makes sense.