RE: Design/Strategy question

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Rui.Amaral@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ksmadduri@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle Freelists" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 10:39:31 -0500

Having been there in the past, Yes RAC may well keep your app and reporting
happy, especially is you use different nodes for each, but RAC is

    1) Expensive,
    2) Adds complexity to the database
    3) Can become a real problem is implemented wrong (happen here, the worst
behaving and most frequently crashing database was on RAC)

Yes having a separate reporting database does add additional disk space needs,
but if you really don't need everything in the source database consider
materialized views in a separate instance, lessens the disk requirements.  Also
you might consider a standby database that's in READ ONLY mode with redo apply
(11g feature) that way you have both a reporting database and a backup copy
should the original server or disk farm crash.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA