Re: Deletion of old Archived Redo Logs

  • From: Randal Bennett <rdbennett2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "patrice.boivin@xxxxxxxxx" <patrice.boivin@xxxxxxxxx>, ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 20:50:07 -0700 (PDT)

Patrice,
Sort of. It implies Oracle will not so much overwrite as delete the logs
when the available space in the fast recovery area is depleted.

We relied on this initially, but we ran into the same issue you described, not
only on our 11.2.0.3 databases but on some other versions as well.
We believe it's because our backups were being written to the fast
recovery area, too, so Oracle thought it had enough room to preclude
deleting the old log archives until the backup process ran and filled
the available space, then it suspended the backup since it was out of
room. It was almost like the available space had to be nearly zero
before the software would start to delete the archived logs, which was
far too late.

We ended
up with an rman script for the backups that ended with: (1)
crosschecking the backups (crosscheck backup;), (2) crosschecking the
archived logs (crosscheck archivelog all;), then (3) deleting the
obsolete files (delete obsolete;).

This allows rman to apply the retention policy (e.g., 7 days for the
backups, backed up at least once for the archived logs) before it
actually deletes anything. Combined with the Oracle recommended backup
strategy (attention to detail in the documents when there is a
requirement to retain the backups for more than one day), this reduced
the required fast recovery area by about 50 percent.

HTH

-- Randy