Deinstalling via OUI

  • From: Adam Donahue <adonahue@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:27:23 -0700

Folks,

This is probably a ridiculously easy question, but how does one go about
using the OUI to deinstall a component, e.g., Oracle interMedia,
/without/ deinstalling all the components it depends on?   Another
example, which should not be required, I'd assume, by any other
components, is Oracle Database Demos, but choosing this for
deinstallation automatically includes such obviously needed tools such
as Export.  In some cases the database server itself is selected for
deinstallation!

I suspect this happens because the other component somehow requires the
one you want to install, and thus it's recursively included in the
deinstallation list.  But how can one simply remove those dependencies,
and why are they there in the first place?  Bottom line: I want to
deliver Oracle with as small a footprint as possible.  I don't need, for
example, interMedia, or sample database files, or the DBCA, yet it seems
these are "required" by other components.  Is there a way around this
short of modifying the inventory files manually?  Are these truly
required?  Has anyone actually attempted this?

Adam