Re: Database snapshot cloning and lockfiles

  • From: Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 23:53:18 -0500

Yes of course we can clone to a different machine, and we will for other
cases. But in this case we want to be able to perform snapshot clones of
small unit test databases onto the same host. Even having a separate
ORACLE_HOME for each one would start to get out of hand.

Bradd has also suggested a different workaround to the problem, I'll test
it out and share it after I get it nailed donw.

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 7:46 PM, Mladen Gogala <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On 04/07/2015 05:13 PM, Don Seiler wrote:

Bradd "Eagle Eye" Piontek was able to duplicate this issue, and then
found bug 5951527 in MOS, an old 10g bug that's never been fixed. I've
created an SR and referenced it as well. The workaround of shutting down
the original instance defeats the whole point of doing the online snapshot
of course.

Don.

Is there a possibility of cloning to a different machine? That seems like
a good solution, to avoid this issue completely. Or, if it must be the same
machine, how about creating another ORACLE_HOME?

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA

Don Seiler