Re: Database accidentally left in backup mode

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mdinh@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 21:46:59 -0300

You know... I am amazed when I see a 9i database backed up with 'begin/end'.
An 11g? I mean... come on! RMAN is very easy to set up for a disk backup. A
bit more difficult if a MML is involved, but that's about it. You can get
very complicated if you want to, but in general it's fairly simple. And you
wouldn't have hit this little problem ;-)

in any case this line
delete noprompt archivelog until time 'SYSDATE-1/24';
is dangerous. Should the full backup take more than an hour you would lose
archivelogs needed for recovery.

Other than that, you can always write a small script that runs every few
minutes and checks the FRA usage, if it is above a given threshold, you can
send an alert (e-mail?, alarm system?) and/or move archivelogs automatically
to another drive or fire a tape archive.

hth

Alan.-